Saturday, April 29, 2006

My favorite professor dies :(


From UNC Pembroke Newswire:

A professor emeritus in the Department of Chemistry and Physics, Reissner died Saturday, April 15, 2006. Dr. Reissner, 64, lived in Wilmington, N.C., and in Lumberton for many years. He joined the UNCP faculty in 1976 and continued to teach in the phased retirement program until his death.

Dr. Reissner was born in Boston, Mass., on December 3, 1941, and was the son of the late M. Eric and Johanna Siegel Reissner. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry from Harvard University and his Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of California at San Diego.

I think we all owe a lot to the people that helped shape us who we are today. Saying that, I owe a lot to Dr. Reissner, who captured my imagination and turned it into something.

He was very math oriented, which I was not. Thought about the universe in very wierd ways, which I did not...until he taught me.

He taught me that math is fun in biophysics and that physics is fun in quantum mechanics, two subjects notorious for their difficulty and comprehension. But he championed my motivation and built my confidence!

If anyone knew whether or not Schrodinger's Cat was alive, Dr. Reissner certainly had a good idea.

Thank you Dr. Reissner for the knowledge and thank you for your friendship!

No comments: