Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Community Service/Service Learnin Director's Conference

Ahh, more fun, more conferences!

I guess that is what summers are for? I am not going to complain. These past 3 days have been really awesome in both networking and presentations at the the conference.

I was there with my supervisor, Mrs. Anderson and we presented on Evaluating Service Learning which went really well and I mainly covered the data management dealing with the database design, our current implementation and my dream implementation, but also the problems that follow along with that. I also spoke on information retrieval and the types of information to gather for service learning impact research. I am by no means an expert in that area, but I am packed with ideas and have done a few things related!

I also learned some cool stuff happening at different schools: NC State has some really cool training that focuses on 'Servant Leadership' which was accompanied by a good video called, "Mama D"...Duke University's Kenan Institute for Ethics has a neat research service-learning class that has 3 stages, mainly 1>gateway course 2>focus/research3>capstone/poster

There were many other great institutions represented, including UNC Greensboro, ECU, Elon(of course), UNC Chapel Hill, Mars Hill, Winston Salem State, Central Piedmont Community College, Guilford College, Meredith, Peace...ahh..the list goes on, but its invigorating to know all of these schoools (via Campus Compact) are staying actively involved in shaping engagement programs that will be far-reaching and impactful!

Not to mention all the crazy amounts of food available....I am still so full!!!

No comments: